WFE Webinar: “WFE-Borsa Istanbul ESG Conference”
Friday 4 November 2022, 12:00 to 15:00 GMT
Ahead of COP27, this conference aims to bring together academics, industry, and policy makers to discuss some of the recent industry developments in Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) in capital and derivative markets. In the first part of the conference, researchers from the exchange industry will present and discuss some of their recent research work on different aspects of ESG. This will be followed by a panel discussion where industry representatives and policy makers will explore the evolving role that ESG data plays in ensuring robust ESG-related disclosures by issuers.
12:00 to 12:10 Opening remarks by Pedro Gurrola-Perez, Head of Research, The World Federation of Exchanges, and Güzhan Gülay, Executive Vice President, Borsa Istanbul
12:10 to 12:30 The WFE Sustainability Survey: eight years of capturing the exchanges’ engagement with ESG issues (Pedro Gurrola-Perez, Head of Research, The World Federation of Exchanges)
12:30 to 13:30 Research presentations
- Development and challenges of voluntary carbon markets (Gregor Spilker, Commodity Research and Product Development, CME Group)
- Impact of ESG performance on firm value and profitability (Mahmut Aydogmus, Director, International Relations Department, Borsa Istanbul)
- Impact of ESG factors on investment decisions of professional participants (Tomasz Wisniewski, Deputy Director, Information Products and Indicators Development Department, Warsaw Stock Exchange)
13:30 to 14:00 Research roundtable: a discussion of the research papers and time for audience Q&A
Moderator: Ali M. Kutan, Distinguished Research Professor of Economics and Finance, Southern Illinois University Edwardsville, USA. Editor of the Borsa Istanbul Review.
14:00 to 14:55 Panel discussion: ESG Data
The aim of the panel is to explore the evolving role that ESG data plays in ensuring robust ESG-related disclosures by issuers. Questions for consideration include: How is ESG data utilised by different stakeholders? What are the challenges surrounding availability of ESG data? Are there specific data challenges surrounding ESG-related indices? How can investors and other end-users gain assurance about the robustness and consistency of ESG data provided?
Panel Moderator: Christine Brentani, Senior Manager, Regulatory Affairs, Sustainability Lead, The World Federation of Exchanges
- Carlo M. Funk, EMEA Head of ESG Investment Strategy, State Street Global Advisors
- Nick Gaskell, Sustainability Analyst, Abrdn
- Till Jung, Managing Director, and Global Head of ESG Products, ISS ESG
- Mark Manning, Technical Specialist- Sustainable Finance and Stewardship, Financial Conduct Authority & Co-Chair of Sustainable TaskForce IOSCO
- Ben Leale-Green, Associate Director, Research & Design, ESG Indices, S&P Dow Jones Indices
14:55 to 15:00 Closing remarks by Pedro Gurrola-Perez, Head of Research, The World Federation of Exchanges