CBOE Futures Exchange Plans Extended Trading Hours
CBOE Futures Exchange, LLC (CFE®) today announced plans to expand CBOE Volatility Index® (VIX® index) futures trading hours — currently 7:00 a.m. CT to 3:15 p.m. CT -- in two phases, beginning in May.
The first phase of expanded trading hours is designed to meet demand from U.S. customers for a post-settlement trading period. The second phase will allow European-based customers to trade VIX futures during their local trading hours.
Phase one — Beginning Thursday, May 30, 2013
- Current VIX futures trading hours will expand by 45 minutes.
- Fifteen minutes after the 3:15 p.m. CT close of VIX futures, the market will reopen for a new trading session from 3:30 p.m. CT to 4:15 p.m. CT. Trading will then resume at7:00 a.m. CT the following morning.
- The new 45-minute period, which marks the beginning of a new trading day, will be available from Monday through Thursday.
Phase two -- Beginning Monday, June 17, 2013
- VIX futures trading hours will expand by an additional five hours, with trading starting at 2:00 a.m. CT (8:00 a.m. London time), Monday through Friday.
- As in Phase one, the 3:30 p.m. CT - 4:15 p.m. CT trading period will be available Monday through Thursday only.
No trading is scheduled on Saturdays and Sundays.
The changes are subject to regulatory review.
On February 1, CFE opened a London Hub to further expand VIX futures trading in Europe. The Hub, which connects the Equinix facility in England to the CBOE Command Center at the Equinix facility in New Jersey, provides European firms with an economical choice to connect to the CFE trading matching engine