Strong Rebound of Equity Trading Volumes (+10%) in the first half of 2014
LONDON (August 5, 2014) – The World Federation of Exchanges Ltd. published its first-half Statistics Market Highlights report. The main trends for this first six months of the years were:
- The value of share trading rose 10% worldwide to 29.7 trillion USD from the second-half of 2013 (+6.8% year on year).
- The number of trades rose 10% from the second-half of 2013 (+12% year on year); the average value of trades decreased.
- A continuing strong performance of equity markets, Global Market Capitalization rose 6% to 68.7 trillion USD from the second-half of 2013 (+21% year on year.)
- Good performance of IPO markets and investment flows. The number of IPOs fell 11% compared to the second half of 2013 but increased 42% year on year. Total investment flows in USD increased 17% compared to the second-half of 2013(+11% year on year.)
``Exchanges serve the real economy every day,’’ said Hüseyin Erkan, CEO of WFE. ‘’As volumes recover and companies seek capital to fund themselves, market operators will play an even greater role. The recent concerns have focused investor interest in markets that are transparent and regulated.’’
Value of Electronic Order Book (EOB) share trading in trillion USD
Source: WFE database including “non-members”
``The numbers are interesting. After several years of decline we are witnessing signs of a recovery in exchange volumes in the recent period” said Grégoire Naacke, Senior Analyst at the WFE. ‘’The IPO numbers mirror this trend. The number of companies coming to market has surged. The question now is will it last. As regulatory mandates begin to take effect will there be a greater shift from OTC to exchange.’’
Please click here to view the full version of the report.
ABOUT THE WFE:
The World Federation of Exchanges is the trade association for the operators of regulated financial exchanges. With 62 members from around the globe, the WFE develops and promotes standards in markets, supporting reform in the regulation of OTC derivatives markets, international cooperation and coordination among regulators. WFE exchanges are home to more than 45,000 listed companies. WFE statistics database covers more than 350 indicators and 70 years of data from exchanges worldwide.
For additional information please contact :
• Intermarket Communications: Stephanie DiIorio, +1 212 -754-5181, email@example.com
• The WFE: Nandini Sukumar, Chief Administrative Officer, +44 20 7151 4156 firstname.lastname@example.org
Any statistics used must be attributed to the WFE.